Wednesday 9 October 2013

The Week I Wish Never Was




Last week was perhaps one of the more unpleasant of not only my time on South Georgia, but ever. I will not go over it but all I have to say is that I thoroughly dislike engines and engine bays at the moment.

On Monday we took the mail out to the Richmond and then said goodbye to her. I then proceeded to work with Erny while Hazel and Jo got ready to go on the holiday I was meant to be on, until engine problems intervened. On Tuesday we dropped them off at Sorling in some of the most beautiful weather we have had all year. They had a fantastic holiday which I was very pleased about. I got back to work and struggled with those blasted engines on Prion.

Finally on Thursday we had worked on her enough to be able to take her on a short, gentle sea trial. Joe, Erny and I took her out and pottered around at 1200rpm maximum. We returned to base and Erny and I worked till supper time changing injectors and testing compression. After that we had to leave her for a couple of days.

We collected Hazel and Jo from their holiday looking rather sunburnt but very happy which was lovely. It was very nice to have them both back on base. That night the builders arrived and we started to do cargo early on Saturday morning. They took two diggers and started to try and open the track to Grytviken but it seems that there is more snow than they are used to at the beginning of the season so it took rather longer than it should.

On Sunday I got off base for the first time in two weeks and we went to see the state of the pupping beaches across the bay. When we were last there two weeks ago there were 4 pups; on Sunday there were about 75, all barking and suckling and rolling around in the sand trying to stay cool. It was the most wonderful sight. It made me remember why I am really here, not to be in engine bays but to enjoy this amazing place.

You can't see me .....
Sand bath
Chinstrap
The wind on the hill
Lenticular
The ground was littered with pups










1 comment:

  1. Strap that chin up! Fab photos, especially the meteorological ones, if it's any consolation for what does indeed sound like a ghastly time - poor you. Much love from us and hope it improves! x Trav & Lu

    ReplyDelete